Hey friends! Thanks for the great music suggestions you gave me in comments & on Twitter. As always, you are the best.
Here's the other Christmas music mix I made last year. This one is more low-tempo, perfect for curling up in front of the fire (or the "fire") with a Tom & Jerry and your favorite two- and four-legged critters.
Note: you may want to avoid this mix if you're having a rough year. It definitely skews a little sad. (On the other hand, you may want to wallow in holiday sadness, in which case just put Tom McRae's Wonderful Christmastime on repeat & weep your way through the next few weeks.)
Holiday Chill (2012 Mix)
White Christmas | Otis Redding
Christmas Time is Here | Diana Krall
O Come, O Come, Emmanuel | Punch Brothers
I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day | The Civil Wars
Beth/Rest (Solo Piano Version) | Bon Iver
* not technically a Christmas song, but it sounds like it should be
The Hounds of Winter | Sting
Baby Come Find Me at Christmas | Rachael Yamagata
Holiday Road | Matt Pond PA
* one of those instances where the cover is far superior to the original (which, let's face it, is kind of terrible)
The Bells of St. Mary's | Sheryl Crow
Colder Weather | Zac Brown Band
* also not technically Christmas, just cold & sad
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas | James Taylor
Wonderful Christmastime | Tom McRae
* from now on, this is the only version of this song I will accept. Sorry, Sir Paul.
Joy is Within Reach | Adrienne Pierce
Hymn for a Winter's Night | Sarah McLachlan
The Heartache Can Wait | Brandi Carlile
Some Children See Him | Lisbeth Scott
Wexford Carol | Moira Smiley
Amazing Grace | Cat Power
* "Amazing Grace... you know the rest" kills me. Every time.
(See Part I for a more cheerful mix!)