10 December 2007

The Highlight of My Weekend

Mark: (reading aloud) The most common English construction is the phrase "not to mention," as in "She is talented, not to mention rich." This construction is so common that it has lost much, if not all, of the device's rhetorical power. "Not to mention" no longer serves here as a device…

Me: (interrupting) It should say, ‘it has lost much of the device’s rhetorical power, not to mention its effectiveness.’

Mark: Should I change it?

Me: You can do that?

Mark: Communal knowledge, baby!

Me: (laughing) See, this is why I told my students not to use a wiki as a reference. You never know what asshole’s changing something just because it makes them laugh.

Mark: Okay, all done! ‘This construction is so common that it has lost much, if not all, of the device's rhetorical power, not to mention its effectiveness.’

All: Ha ha ha ha ha!!







We’re nerds.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I would like to claim the second place prize for highlight of the weekend with my stunning show of struggling (for a long time) to open the wrong side of a door.